Get Market Data - New Feature at StampAuctionNetwork.
At the touch of a button, you can pull up StampAuctionNetwork's extended database of prices realized to help you determine historic price fluctuations. If you see the [Get Market Data] link, you can press it to get the history of that country's stamp at our site. You can access this option from your MySAN.My Bids pages, or while searching by country and catalog number in Extended Features. This option will be available on the catalog pages of auctions posted after Feb 24, 2019. Watch this Video to see how it works. /[SAN]
Interesting StampAuctionNetwork Links
Record Holders for Stamps sold Live on the Internet. - StampAuctionNetwork.
StampAuctionNetwork has long been the leading site for live bidding. Going back to 2007 when StampAuctionNetwork bidders took trusted the site to place their bids live from overseas and won $1 million in realizations on a single day. And then just last year, on November 14th, 2018 the new record for a single C3a 24¢ Invert Position 49, sold to a SAN Live bidder for $1,350,000 + the buyers commission -- this is 2nd place on the all-time highest prices paid using Live Bidding. The bidder was asked if he wanted to be on the phone, and he said, "No I'm fine with StampAuctionNetwork Live"
2014 Fantasy Philately contest - Tom Droege.
Please find the results for our 2014 Fantasy Philately contest. Contestants were judged on the following points system. Judges gave us their subjective 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place rankings in each category. Points were awarded as follows: a 1st place was worth 3pts, 2nd 2pts, and a 3rd 1pt. Points were also awarded 1pt each for use of money (closest to category), 9-10 lots purchased, 6 or more auction firms. Points were deducted for more than 15 lots purchased and fewer than 3 auction firms used.
Finally I will conclude with a comment from one of our judges. "I found the $10,000 exhibits more interesting than the million dollar ones. Some of the $10,000 exhibits left me wondering what they would have accomplished had the spent more. Maybe another category next year: $50,000 or $100,000? I think this can grow once collectors get a better understanding how fun this can be. Some pointers to the participants might be in order, such as building a collection with some consistency and maybe difficulty, buy from numerous auction houses being a plus. "
Hopefully, this will give you some ideas of how to create your own collection
Register HERE and receive vouchers which give
you new bidder discounts with a first purchase.
StampAuctionNetwork is the MarketPlace for Stamp Auctions. With one registration you
can bid with nearly every Stamp Auction firm worldwide. Our database of past auction results provides the data you need to bid with confidence.
Register HERE (or login if you are a member) - to Join StampAuctionNetwork
StampAuctionNetwork Census of the week
(more Census's are available here with Extended Features...)
Are you Interested in collecting Stamps?
- Yes, I like the idea of collecting stamps.
- History and Geography interest me.
- My heritage (country of origin) is something I would like to learn more about.
- Collecting items of value appeals to me.
- I understand the adventure of discovering scarcity among the plentiful.
- I love the hunt!
You are at the right place, but why buy at auction?
- The best items are sold at auction.
- You buy where the dealers buy.
- You may have to wait, but it will cost less.
- Unique items are only available at auction.
- I can bid and buy with auction firms around the world.
- The essential features of StampAuctionNetwork, registration, bidding, searching, and results are free. You are not obligated to purchase anything or place bids with the auction firms.
- Registration includes 45 days use of Extended Features granting you access to the database and tools to learn how to use StampAuctionNetwork to build your own stamp collection.
- If you are building a collection of any size, you should consider the $179/year plan. You will get additional access to the database as well as custom introductions to help you build your collection.
Ideas for starting to collect - We can help you get started.
- Buy a couple worldwide collection lots. The stamps are the cheapest this way. You can use the collection to identify countries, and you will get a basic idea of what you want to collect.
- You already know what country to collect? Then buy a couple country collections. Same value as above. Best way to get all the inexpensive stamps.
- Topicals interest you. Contact me for how to do this.
- Ready to just start buying #1's of the world, Contact us.
Stamp of the Day
From Mail Auction - Vance Auctions - January 29, 2020
Lot 5105 -
26iv, Perf 11.75 x 12, fresh rich colour, crisp impression, VF, expertly RG. Has 2013 Greene Foundation Certificate....Cat 2,500.00
Stamp of the Day
From Box & Country Lot Sale #F526 - No Buyer's Premium - Free Shipping - Paradise Valley Stamp Company - Jan. 24, 2020
Lot 3052 -
1863, 2c BLACK JACK PAIR USED WITH PAIR OF 3c ROSE ON COVER TO PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND, #73, 65, left 2c stamp few blunted perfs., right 3c stamp small piece out at top, cancelled by pin wheel cork cancel, 3c pair tied by rimless Montgomery IL d.s. on May, 1865 cover to Demerestville, arrival backstamp, very fine and scarce usage to on of Canadian Maritime Provinces, ex. Klein and Dr. Peter M. Burrows....$300
Currently US$ 300
Stamp Auction Network News and Facts
- November 14th, the new record for a single C3a 24¢ Invert Position 49, sold
to a SAN Live bidder for $1,350,000 + the buyers commission -- this is 2nd place on the all-time highest prices paid using Live Bidding. The bidder was asked if he wanted to be on the phone, and he said, "No I'm fine with StampAuctionNetwork Live".See the top prices paid by SAN live bidders.
- June 20, 2018 -- StampAuctionNetwork Agent Bidding was thoroughly test and performed exceptionally. We had 7 bidders participate in the test, They bid on 40 lots in the Siegel International Sale, they won 8 lots, won all the ties, bought lots totalling $14,500, and saved $1,650 at a cost of $145.
SAN Agent fees are waived in June, 2018 to anyone who uses the service. You must join StampAuctionNetwork Basic or Extended features at some level (trial, BASIC, Extended, or PowerUser), but that can be as little as $9.95/year. Fees are 1% of the hammer price.
- June 13, 2018 -- StampAuctionNetwork goes over $1 Billion! (adjusted for currency).
With the addition of a number of recent David Feldman SA sales, and the restoration of Shreves Sales 7-39, 151-157, and 161-162 (31,000 lots with PR's of 45 million), StampAuctionNetwork officially crosses
the $1 Billion mark in prices realized. No other auction site has this significant a database of prices realized.
- June 11, 2018. Instructional Videos and Webinars are released at StampAuctionNetwork starting with "StampAuctionNetwork Agent Bidding Explained"
- February 23, 2018. Announcing StampAuctionNetwork Extended Features!
- December 20, 2017. Record Breaking Results. SAN Bidders broke the record for percent of Sales sold for a major sale. Over 83% of Robert A Siegel's sale 1173 sold to SAN bidders, with another 11% of Lots where the SAN bidder was the underbidder. Only 6% of lots sold without SAN competition.
- June 9th, 2016. Live Bidding results at WSS-NY 2016. Even though the entire world was at WSS, SAN Live
bidders who were not at the show brought home great stamps. Live Bidders won $1,059,000 of lots offered by the four
auction houses at WSS, and were the underbidders on another $700,000 worth of material, bringing the total impact of
SAN live bidders to $1,734,000. Thank you live bidders!
- May 29, 2016. Live Bidding at World Stamp Show-NY 2016. We are pleased to announce
that all of the auctioneers at WSS-NY 2016 will also make their
auctions available to StampAuctionNetwork bidders using our live bidding
platform on any device. You can bid from anywhere in the world,
or even the auction room floor using StampAuctionNetwork's live bidding.
- April 18th, 2016. Tour de Cure Charity Auction to Benefit the American Diabetes Association. Our 4th annual auction for diabetes
was a record breaker! Over $45,000 was raised that will go directly to research efforts to cure diabetes. My ride will
be May 14th and 15th. Thanks again to all our auction sponsors who made generous donations of stamps and covers for the
auction, and to our collector friends who also made contributions. A special thanks to Daniel Kelleher LLC who at the last
minute provided some excellent Asia material which was hotly contested. When the dust had settled, Kelleher was
responsible for over $30,000 of the $45,500 total. Paradise Vally and Earl P.L. Apfelbaum also made large contributions.
- December 31, 2014. Announcing StampAuctionNetwork for Mobile Devices! Just click on the link or go to
mStampAuctions.com or StampAuctionMobile.com to use StampAuctionNetwork on any of your mobile devices. The new interface has
been in development for a year now, and has been tested by our own StampAuctionNetwork mobile evaluation team, so it is ready for
general use. Please send any additional feedback my way!
- July 10, 2014. The 1st Fantasy Philately! contest is concluded. See the Results!
- June 26, 2014, a 30c Ultramarine & Carmine, Flags Inverted (121b) sold in the Siegel Rarities of the World to a SAN Live Bidder for $290,000. See the top prices paid by SAN live bidders.
- May 13, 2014, a few new records for SAN Live Bidders. The C3a 24¢ Invert Position 89, sold
to a SAN Live bidder for $230,000. Interestingly, it last sold to a different SAN Live bidder two years
earlier for $150,000.See the top prices paid by SAN live bidders.
- April 1, 2014. The 2nd Annual TourdeCure Charity Auction for the American Diabetes Association
realized over $11,000. The autographed copy of Bill Gross's book sold for $775.
- November 5, 2013. Announcing "Fantasy Philately" at StampAuctionNetwork.com
- June 25, 2013, SAN Live Bidders shattered several 6 year records which I did not think would be broken.
First the new record for a single lot sold to a live bidder is $1,950,000 breaking the old record of
$650,000. The new monthly record is already over $5 million which breaks the previous
monthly record of $4.3 million. See the top prices paid by SAN live bidders.
- June 8, 2013 - Let us do your Searches for you! Manage your Saved Searches and opt in for email notification. Just Login, and pick Search to turn your
saved searched into email notifications. You will get matches on your searches via email when the auctions are first posted.
- May 23rd, 2013 - Language Translation Introduced. Press the "Translate On" button to translate from English to any of
several dozen languages, or to translate to English. Please send your comments to tldroege@StampAuctionNetwork.com.
- March 29, 2013 - A record month at StampAuctionNetwork. 3,931 lots sold to 476 different
live bidders for $3,870,432 for the month of March, 2013!
- March 29, 2013 ** New Records** See the top prices paid by SAN live bidders.
- January 30, 2013. New Search Features let you pull lots added since a date and then save that data to an excel file.
- StampAuctionNetwork is on Facebook! Like us!
- May 4th, 2012. We added some pagination to the search feature to make it easier to use. No limits on results now.
- Dec 14th, 2011. Non US Live bidders take most of Kelleher Delta Collection. 51% of the sale went to Live Bidders,
but the US made up only 10% of that. Most went to Saudia Arabian, Egyptian, and UAE bidders.
- October 31, 2011 - A record month at StampAuctionNetwork. 2,985 lots sold to 620 different
live bidders for $3,851,952 for the month of October, 2011!
- June, 2007. $650,000 record for a lot sold on the Internet,
$3.1 Million, record for a day,
$4.3 Million to Live Bidders for the month.
- October 16, 2011 - Another busy live bidding week.
1534 lots were sold to live bidders totaling $1.3 million
and 348 different winning bidders participated in
auctions by Siegel, Apfelbaum, and Kelleher.
- August 19-20, 2011 - a record 171 different live bidders were sucessful in
the Spink Shreve's Collector's series sale.
- June 4-5, 2010 - 137 different Live Bidders took home a record 837 lots totaling $660,000
at the Harmers Sale.
- March 12, 2010 - A record 154 Live Bidders took home 515 lots totaling $672,635
at Spink Shreve's Collector's series sale.
- Robert A. Siegel sells over 40% of Sale 983 to Live Bidders - February 23, 2010
- 3,421 unique visits per day as of February, 2010
- September 13, 2008 -
A record 130 Live Bidders took home 796 lots totaling $817,000
at Spink Shreve's Collector's series sale.
- with over 16,000 Registered Bidders!
- October 21-24, 2010 - a record 174 different Live Bidders took home a record 1014 lots totaling $576,215 at the
Daniel Kelleher Sale.
- $2.7 Million to Live Bidders in April, 2009
- $2.5 Million to Live Bidders in May, 2008,
Stamp Champion Data Miners! - Cleaning up the Database using 17a as an example..
Thanks to all of you PowerUsers at StampAuctionNetwork. With great power comes great responsibility. You have the power to make the database better. This video explains the quickest way to clean up a Country/Stamp combination. Tom Droege
Get Market Data while you are browsing a Catalog or Updating your Bids - part of Extended Features.
This short video uses the Hawaii Revenue stamp R12 to demonstrate the new Get Market Data feature.
Get Market Data lets you At the touch of a button, pull up StampAuctionNetwork's extended database of prices realized to help you determine historic price fluctuations.
If you see the [Get Market Data] link, you can press it to get the history of that country's stamp at our site. You can access this option from your MySAN.My Bids pages,
or while searching by country and catalog number in Extended Features. This option will be available on the catalog pages of auctions posted after Feb 24, 2019.
Take a Tour of StampAuctionNetwork. - Tom Droege.
After the tour you can join StampAuctionNetwork, the first Marketplace for Stamps. With one registration you can participate in 95% of Stamp Auctions Worldwide. Each year over $400 million of auctions are presented here in a way that makes it easy to bid before or during the sale, and find out the prices realized after the sale.
Get Connected - Tom Droege.
Do you want to get connected to other Stamp Collectors? I can post your connection here. Find other collectors like yourself. Find someone to kickstart you on a new collecting interest. Or maybe you want to offer a new collector assistance in the area of your specialty. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org by Email
Confederate States of America - John L. Kimbrough MD .
is a major philatelic website devoted to the stamps and postal history of the Confederate States of America 1861-1865. John L. Kimbrough MD, Confederate States of America Stamps. Postal History, Currency. Contact email@example.com by Email
Exporta Collectors Wanted - Tom Droege.
I am looking for other collectors that are specializing in the Exporta Issue. Actually this is just an example of a Connection request, I recently sold my entire Exporta Collection -- It gave me a great deal of pleasure, now others can take it over. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org by Email
North Carolina Chapter - StampAuctionNetwork - Tom Droege.
I am considering organizing a StampAuctionNetwork North Carolina Chapter. The purpose will be to assist members in building their collections by bidding and buying at auctions while effectively using the tools StampAuctionNetwork can provide. The 2nd purpose will be to develop the next generation of collectors ages 40-65.
This idea was prompted by my recent survey asking people for ideas on promoting the next generation of stamp collectors. Some of the suggestions revolved around the idea of building in a social component. We can have other activities as the group determines. We can have member presentations, club auctions, social activities, etc...
Contact email@example.com by Email
Extended Features Stamp Champion Application - Tom Droege.
Stamp Auction Network is looking for qualified individuals who will help manage and standardize the data submitted to StampAuctionNetwork so that it will be the most useful possible. For the most part we are looking for individuals who can be responsible for a collecting area (US and North America, German, British Commonwealth, France and Colonies, Africa, Asia, South America, Offices, Occupations, etc...). In return for managing your area (minimum of 200 corrections per month), we will give you full access to the PowerUser features. You also become part of the development team that makes recommendations for future Extended Features. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org by Email
Philatelic Club in Oflag IIC, a World War II German Prisoner of War Camp for Officers - Stanley J. Robboy.
Nicolaus Copernicus was a Renaissance mathematician and astronomer whose scientific observations changed our understanding of our place in the heavens. From a philatelic viewpoint, he stands out as one of the most celebrated of physicians of all time. This article tells of a place and time most unusual in which he was honored.
The United States Bicolored Postage Issues of 1869, Focusing on the 24-cent Stamp Depicting John Trumbull's painting Declaration of Independence - Stanley J. Robboy.
This essay concentrates on the historically important 1869 series, the first bicolor production of a US stamp. It features John Trumbull's oil painting, which contrary to the popular belief that it depicts the signing ceremony of the Declaration of Independence, is actually a romanticized imaginary image of the five-man committee presenting their draft of the Declaration to the Continental Congress.
All Dressed Up With Nowhere to Fly, The 1923 Series of Airplane Stamps - Bob Baltzell.
It did not take long after the Wright brothers made their historic powered flight of a manned glider in 1903 before the U.S.
Post Office Department (U.S. POD) could envision using aeroplanes to transport mail. At first it was authorizing pilots to
carry mail during barn-storming air events and experimenting with short routes, but the flying machines and their pilots
were subject to many adverse conditions to depend upon them for any regular scheduled mail. Bob unravels the early history of Air Mail Service.
1898 1¢ Franklin (Scott #279) Watermark Varieties - Len McMaster.
I have occasionally seen stamps with watermark orientations other than
“normal” offered for sale at a premium on eBay, yet my experience would
suggest that no one orientation is more rare than any other. Thus I set out to
examine a sample of the stamps in my collection to verify this observation
and will report my research here. In addition, I will discuss other watermark
varieties and report three plate numbers with vertical watermarks, previously
unknown. Note that I collect and study only the 1898 1¢ Franklin, Scott
#279, so my remarks relate only to that stamp.
Exporta Postal History can be Hard to Handle! - Tom Droege.
The Exportas were the regular series of Mexico issued from 1975-1993 and consisted of 30 Designs (regular, airmail, special delivery / entrega, insured / seguros). They were printed on 14 Papers (Series 1a-14a) Watermarked, Phosphorescence and Fluorescence (Yellow, White, Dull White, Reddish) and offer the collector Postal Stationery, Inverts, Perforation varieties, design differences, color varieties, essays, fixed Plate Flaws, and major Errors (bionicas printed on the non-phosphorescence side of the paper).
Collecting the stamps is challenging enough, but if you are up for a real effort, try collecting the series on cover. Given that the postal rates changed 20 times during the Exporta era, and given the number of different designs and denominations that were used, you can assume that just collecting covers with each stamp would be tough enough. This article is going to take that challenge to the next level and give you 10 (some almost impossible) tough objectives in collecting the Exporta series on cover.